Friday 28 November 2014

Editing Schedule

After I finished filming I decided to straight away start to edit as this would be the most laborious task and yet the most important. I wanted to use final cut pro and this was located at school on the macs however I find that I work better at school and after I started to edit the beginning titles I decided that it would be easier for me to try and do it on my macbook at home. The only problem with this was that I only have iMovie which didn't have as many tools that I could work with. I have editing something on there before so I know that it wouldn't be the best application to use when it came to edit my shot film. Therefore I looked at final cut pro and found out that it was quite expensive and I was not willing to pay the price when I could essentially do it at school, however it came to my attention that it had a 30 day free trial in which I could edit my short film and upload it. This was what I have now on my laptop and what I am using to edit all of the clips together. Final cut pro is the best way to edit my short film as it has lots of different effects, sound effects, titles and different but easy ways to put the different shots together.

I decided that the first thing that I must do was to have a look at all of my different videos and upload them all to my computer so they are saved and then I can look through them and get rid of the ones that are not up to standard and are maybe bloopers, it will then allow me to work with the ones that I have left and I can then put them in order. I find it best to put the shots in chronological order first before cropping and cutting them as it is harder to try and find the shot that you want within another 100 videos. This will be the first thing that I will do and then I can go onto edit them together. I have all together about 60 videos which I will try to add in the short film, even just some small snippets from each one because they have taken time to try and shot.

The next thing that I will do will be cutting them together and finding which parts will be best to use as well as looking at which ones would work well together, whilst I edit these I will jot down notes on what I need to do with the individual shots as they may need different colouring or sound effects. After I have cut them I can then go onto putting the transitions between them all. I don't want anything that is too extravagant like the 3d rectangle or arrows etc, I want to try and use only the natural ones that I can then blog about in my editing log. 
I also then need to look at the titles of my film as I can then see the length of my short film and how much more I need to edit it down to. As I have decided on having old photos of my protagonist for the beginning title I need to find something that works well, I didn't really want the edit to stop for a blank background I wanted to have a picture of my actor now and then have some text over it. But at the end I really want a stereotypical credit which might take a couple of seconds. I will edit these and out the words that I need on them.



Penultimately I will listen to some music and then attach it to the shots that need it, there are already some sound effects on final cut pro so I will have a look at some of these to make sure that I have some diegetic sound. A lot of the music that I will use will have to have no lyrics because of the audio which will also have to be put on before hand as it is a voice over, there is garage band on my mac I will try to use it to put something together however I am not going to promise anything from it. A lot of music that I have already looked at is on a free website online however they are all different to what I want so I will have to play around with the music side of things to try and adapt it for my short film.


Lastly I will have to look back through my editing and check if everything looks clean and if it all makes sense. After getting peoples opinions and feedback I can go back through it and change the parts that need tweaking and look through other videos that I could use instead.





As there are only 30 days on my trial I will have to try and do all of the editing within that time and make sure that when it is finished there is nothing to change.

I will start the trial on the 1st of december as I had already completed some of the beginning on the macs at school so I thought that this would be a very good time to do it. As there is a school holiday I have plenty of time at home to get the short film finished.

1st december - Look through all of the footage and delete the things that I will not need
3rd december- Put all of the footage in chronological order
4th december- Edit some of the clips together
6th december- Edit the rest of the clips and start colour correcting
7th december- Try to make sure the transitions are clean
9th decmber- Start looking at music and the different sound effects within final cut pro
10th december- Add the music to the clips that I have already
13th december- make sure that all of the titles and footage has been edited together correctly
15th december- Look at the final footage and ask some feedback from what I have done
17th-30th december- Look back and do any editing that I need to complete to make it the best that it can be!!

No comments:

Post a Comment