Tuesday 16 September 2014

The goal of Dogme

Dogme was a filmmaking movement which started in 1995 by Lars von Trier and Thomas Vinterberg. Their goal was to purify filmmaking by not using special effects, post-production modifications and other technical changes. Instead of focusing on all of the things that they could do to make the film better they concentrate on the story and the actors' performances. Using this allowed the power to go back to the artist rather than to the studio. They thought that using this will engage the audience, as they will not be distracted by overproduction. It is a very controversial yet influential movement that happened to stop in 2005 because it had grown into a genre formula which was never the intention.
They produced ten rules to which any Dogme film must conform. These rules were referred to as the "Vow of Chastity" are as follows:

1) Filming must be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in. If a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found.

2) The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. Music must not be used unless it occurs within the scene being filmed (diagetic)
3) The camera must be a hand-held camera. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted. The film must not take place where the camera is standing; filming must take place where the action takes place. 
4) the film must be in colour. Special lighting is not acceptable.
5) Optical work and filters are forbidden.
6) The film must not contain superficial action.
7) Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden.
8) Genre movies are not acceptable.
9) The film format must be Academy 35mm
10) The director must not be credited.

When filming my short film I will not be using the Dogme rule as there are too many things that you have to consider, which will limit the filming. I will defiantly be using music as I think that that is a key thing to have in a short film especially because I am thinking of making my film a comedy. In addition I  want to make some of mine in black and white as it will be effective and adds just a bit more of a variety. When editing I want to try and make my film as good as it can be and not using any filters or optical work. I will probably not set any guidelines for my short film as it is the first time that I have created something so if I am restricted then I am limited to a particular type of short film. I will probably not model my work on anyone else's approach because I don't want to limit myself on something in particular. I want my short film to have stereotypical elements however I don't want any unconventional shots or editing techniques as I still need it to look like a short film. In short films I particularly like the music and how the picture can change using different fades etc, but if I follow this particular rule I will be challenging the concept. I will defiantly be looking back on my old posts about the stereotypical things that you can find in a short film and will be using this, although I would like my short film to be unique I will not challenge the conventions as I need it to be understood. The only thing that I will add it that I have a limited film budget and limited equipment so if things do turn out to be less professional than expected then it will make it look like I have followed part of the " Vow of 
chastity". 



1 comment:

  1. The thing with Von Trier is that he is an artist, not just churning out generic Hollwood films. I think it's interesting to set limits or rules- you are in a similar situation in some ways. You have a limited budget and limited equipment- that's a kind of 'vow of chastity' too.

    ReplyDelete