Thursday 18 September 2014

My short film idea

Before I can start planning my short film I must make sure that the story is up to scratch. In this blog post I sill be writing about the concept that I have and the idea behind it. Once I have thought about my idea I can start planning my filming from creating a storyboard to making a script and finding my talents. I did have a struggle thinking of a short film idea as I wasn't really drawn in by a particular genre, therefore I decided to think of something that is unique and maybe doesn't follow the conventions. I have to think of the plot and the storyline however with thinking about what specific genre I want to stick to and use their conventions. I didn't want to do something that has been done way too many times like bullying as I think that would be boring for me as I like to be unique and I don't think that it would really work as when it would come to editing I would get bored. 
I did think firstly about a documentary about how everyone in the world is connected by some mean of social media and then I could get different camera angles and shots of different media forms, also because my brother lives abroad I could easily get footage from him. Then when I thought about it in detail I think it would probably end up being shorter than 5 minutes and also when it came to thinking about a storyline there wouldn't be one. Therefore I decided to leave that idea and brainstorm some others, it did take me a long time as it was set in my head that that was what I was going to do however things change. After asking peoples different opinions and looking online I still didn't really know what would be the best solution and what I could do that would get me a good grade. After talking to my brother who has really good suggestions for a short film (as he is my biggest critique) he thought about an idea using my gran. My gran does have a very funny personality so I think that using her would be great as I would have an opportunity to work with her. Also as she is an OAP she doesn't really get up to much in her day to day life so I know that if I call her she would be happy to be filmed. She is not camera shy and I think that as I have already filmed her it would be easy for me to film her.

I decided that I wanted to make a comedy piece and nobody in my group wanted to do that and also I get bored of watching serious short films all the time and I think when it came to the time that I am daunting of editing it will make me laugh. I have picked two ideas which I will write down here and then I can show people and they can vote on which is their favourite. 

So my first idea is that my gran is living her day to day life and goes to the shops as a typical gran does to get her daily fix of the paper and decides to either get a lottery ticket or to go into the bookies. After she has found out that she has won she looses her winning ticket. I will then follow her around on a little adventure to try and find the ticket but in the end it is somewhere typical like her follow along bag. This would be easy to film and put together however the adventure part would maybe get a bit boring as there is only a certain amount of filming you can do with a gran at the age of 81.

The next idea is that my gran again has a super ego like a superhero and goes about her day to day life but then gets a call though her walking stick from a secret agent about a certain call that she has to do. Then the short film will be about her going to save this particular person but ends up to be a ridiculous reason in the end, but as she is 81 she finds that she has made such a big achievement. 

As my gran lives near a big park it would be easy to film the second one and I think that would be more comedic but I am going to have a look into the storyboard and script and other peoples opinions. 

If these both don't get approvals then I am going to see if I could take a child's book about a gran and see if I could adapt it to a short film, this would be easier to do however you will not be able to make your own script as you will have to keep to what happens in a book. Also I think that doing this would allow me to write about the book in detail and therefore will have more of an understanding of what I am filming about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment