Tuesday 23 September 2014

Change of short film idea

From the last current blog post about my short film idea I asked my audience on what they think would be the best idea for my short film however after asking them I found out that maybe I shouldn't do that idea. It would be hard for me to film my gran as she is living away also when I asked her if I could film on a certain day she was busy therefore I thought that it would be easier for me to change my idea and use someone who was closer to home.

After watching a Korean film a couple of years ago the storyline stuck in my head. This is the synopsis of the film Castaway on the moon; A man named Kim jumps into the dark, quiet waters of the Han River. He wakes up and finds himself lying on strange ground, covered with sand. For one second he thinks he is in heaven, but soon recognises that he simply drifted to a nameless island. In one of the riverside apartment buildings there's a girl who hasn't ventured out of her room for years. With her dishevelled hair and in the ska clothes she's worn for years, she looks just like a castaway. Then one day she catches sight of a man living alone on an island through her binoculars. Day after day, his lonely but seemingly contented life triggers her curiosity and compels her to step out of her room after so many years. Kim's extraordinary life becomes the inspiration for change in this girl's lonely, detached life. 

When thinking about a short film I instantly thought about using this idea as it would be simple yet effective, also when talking to my friends about it they seemed to like it. I obviously don't want to copy the film as I want to have a twist on the storyline therefore I need to come up with an idea behind why she is stuck in her room and why she suddenly changes her mind and steps on to the streets. 

The storyline is that a girl had a bad experience whilst walking to school one day, after that she decided to have no interaction with her family and friends again. When living in her room there are certain things that she does day to day so she keeps a pattern as she has only got her self. To make her feel secure there is one person that walks past her house at exactly the same time everyday and makes a gesture so she knows that they know she is there. However there is one day that the person doesn't walk past her house and her one and only interaction with a person becomes lost and so does she. After a big decision she decides to leave and investigate and find out about what and why the person has not walked past her house for the past couple of days. At the end there could be a twist but I have yet to decide as I might leave it on a cliff-hanger that she finds something else whilst out instead of the person, but on the other hand the person who sees her decides to not walk one day to try and get her attention. Although I wanted it to be a comedy I decided that this would possibly be more engaging for my audience and it could work for different ages and genders. 


I need to make sure that my locations are similar to the character as she has never been out of her room, she will not have the luxuries of different furniture that you would find in a bedroom. In addition I think that the room will have to be quite gloomy as she is living in the dark. When thinking about the props in the room I need to think what the character will want, I don't think that she would want a mirror for example as she might be lacking in self confidence as she hasn't left the room. I will have to also make her appearance look quite disheveled. When thinking about where the person walks I need to find a good location that looks out of the bedroom window onto a road. I would have preferred to look onto a bus stop as that would be the reason for the person to walk however I do not have a location that I could fin for this so I will have to stick to my original location on a street. After looking a REECE of the different locations I will be able to easily look at what would be best suited for my short film. 




No comments:

Post a Comment