Monday 5 January 2015

Planning for my short film

When it comes to creating my short film I have to plan a lot of things to make sure it goes accordingly and also that I have enough time to create a well detailed short film. The planning is key to making anything look professional and keeping to the time that was allocated. I had previous tasks that also needed planning so I did have an advantage of this and therefore it was easier for me to plan for this too make use of all the time I had. As this was a video it did take longer and was harder as you had to direct something to make sure every detail was specific to make the topic come across. 

When planning for a task that has been given we needed to think about the things that we wanted to use and what we needed to make it the best we could. We looked at some short films and thought about the planning that went before it: where was the filming take place? When? Script or no Script? What we was going to do it about? What equipment we need to use?

First I had to look at the various topics that I could create a short film about, I have already done a previous blog post about my different ideas and picked one that I thought would work well. However I decided to change it as when I was creating a rough plan I found that it would be to hard to try and get my actor and find time to film as she was living half an hour away. If I had not done any planning prior to this then I would have had a tough time filming and getting to find enough time to get me there and back. I decided that I would stick to Noel who was the girl that I worked with for my As media and I knew that she would be happy to allow me to film. I had recently seen a korean film which I liked an individual character, I knew that it wouldn't be as effective as the feature length film that I had the idea from as they had a high budget however it was easy to create a short film based on this idea. In addition it was easier for me to film Noel as she only lived a couple of minutes away and I knew that some of her free lessons were the same as mine so I could film her then.

Firstly I had to plan a storyboard which I could then work with to create my short film, I decided to create this online as I was not a very creative person and there was a free website which I could create a well detailed storyboard with pictures. I can then add some detailed text to say exactly what I want to happen and the different shots that will happen. I will try to stick to this as it would be easier to film however some points may change.

Secondly I brainstormed titles and characters that I could use for my short film, As I was lucky enough to have the same girl that I used for my as media I knew that she only lived two minutes away so it would be easy to have her as my main character. I though about only having her in the short film but it would have been difficult to try and make it the desired length without the audience getting bored, therefore I decided to have another of my girl who would not have a speaking part and will only be in the short film for parts just to make it more interesting. I then thought about the titles that would fit well with the short film some of the short film titles that I thought about were
-Prism
-From the outside looking in
-Through the lens
-Through my eyes
I decided on using through my eyes as it worked well with the picture that I had in mind as it was an extreme close up of her eyes so went well with the title and the location in that it sat on the picture also worked well as it was in between her eyes so engaged the audience. 

I then needed to think about the locations that I would film in, as it was mainly about a girl who is stuck in her bedroom it was easy for me to decide that the main location would be in her bedroom. I did look at other locations but my actors bedroom was perfect as it was quite a small space which would be perfect to film in. I then decided that it may look quite dark if I didn't have any light shots outside, so I decided to only film my other actor Erin outside to get a variety of locations. After this I then had to create a filming schedule which was very important as we had to then lead on to editing and if I didn't have the correct timing for this then it would not make the end product very effective. Luckily when I talked to my actor she had a lot of corresponding frees so I could easily film her and also I had time during media lessons.

After I gathered the information about the time and places that I was going to film I had to think about the script. I knew that I didn't want any dialogue in the film and that I would only have a voice over on it so I would record my own voice on it. It will be like a monologue so I had to decide where I would want a pause and I might have to think about that after my editing as I wouldn't film her speaking.

Finally I had to hire the equipment out, I am defiantly using my own camera as when I recorded for my prelim task it was not the clearest. I therefore needed to make sure I had the correct memory card and enough batteries as I didn't want it to run out whilst I was recording. I had to book out a tripod as it make my short film less shaky and when it came to editing it allows it run smoothly also it makes it look a lot more professional

Having planned for my short film allowed me to easily film and edit and without the planning it would have taken longer and would make me much less organized.




No comments:

Post a Comment